Sunday, 15 March 2009

About Me

Photo by Cartmel Photography, copyright Faye L. Booth 2008Photo by Cartmel Photography, © Faye L. Booth 2008.

I'm not completely sure where my Victoriana fixation comes from, but I can't see it going away any time soon. I was born blonde, but decided aged 18 that I have a better sense of what suits me than Mother Nature. I'm collecting tattoos, and my tattoos are the most personal pieces of art I can think of after my own writing. I can't wear uncomfortable shoes or high necklines, but am quite happy tightlaced into a corset. I don't feel right without nail varnish (even badly chipped is preferable to none), perfume and a pile of jewellery. I became a vegetarian aged ten and am now a vegan. The rest of my family are omnivores, as (of course) are all but a tiny minority of my characters. For those who like to categorise people, I'm a Scorpio, an INTJ, an Enneagram Type 4 and a True Neutral. Harry Potter fans may prefer to know that online sorting hat tests are undecided as to whether to put me in Ravenclaw or Slytherin, but Slytherin's in the lead if I recall correctly. (Please note that these methods of categorising people are not ones I necessarily follow in any meaningful sense.) I have a parrot who likes to swear at people in the cutesiest voice imaginable. I tend to creep people out by knowing macabre facts, such as being able to point out that someone in a film shouldn't die quickly as a result of short-drop or hoist hanging. Since I was a kid, I've been drawn to characters that are generally perceived as scary (like Gollum in The Hobbit/LOTR), but clowns scare the hell out of me. I can't understand people who don't reread books they've enjoyed (do they only listen to a song, watch a film or look at a painting once, too?), and I catalogue my own library on my computer. I enjoy redrafting and editing. I can never tell what sorts of things people find interesting about one another, therefore I loathe writing these sorts of bios about myself.